Last Updated on September 20, 2018 by Kuldeep Bisht
Did you know – most blogs get 80% of their traffic from organic search? So, you want to double your blog traffic quickly? You know it – organic search driven traffic is what will make you win. And in this guide, I will tell you advanced SEO tips to help you achieve this.
- Tip #1: Create and Optimize Landing Pages
- Tip #2: Repurpose Old Content for More Value
- Tip #3: Update Your Older Content
- Tip #4: Optimize well performing old pages to get them to Google search page 1
- Tip #5: Add High-Quality Outbound Links to your Content
- Tip #6: Leverage Your Blog’s Highest Ranking Pages to Promote Other Pages
Tip #1: Create and Optimize Landing Pages
Here’s a question. When someone clicks on your blog’s links via a Google search result, where do they land? Mostly, it’s a blog post page, right? Well, you get the best results in terms of low bounce rates, satisfied readers, higher subscriptions, more conversions, and ultimately higher revenues, all this via converting your best blog posts into landing pages. Some best practices to keep in mind:
- Identify a long-tail keyword and build your post accordingly.
- Add title, meta description, and relevant keywords
- Make the post length close to 2,000 words.
- Spend time to fine tune the design of the page.
- Add a Call To Action at the end of your content, such as motivating readers to subscribe to your blog or share the page on social media.
- Use images, infographics, screenshots, etc. to add visual value to the page.
- Don’t be afraid of adopting hard selling tone in your content for your landing pages.
Once your landing pages are ready, you will need to spend your time and efforts towards link building to get the pages to rank high. The best part is – when you get into Google’s first 10 search results, it becomes pretty tough for competitors to displace you. This InstaPage landing page guide is a pretty helpful resource; read it.
Tip #2: Repurpose Old Content for More Value
The smartest bloggers out there are holding tightly to this secret of success with SEO. When you put so much effort into creating your best blog posts, why not re-use the content in other formats to drive more value? Of course, I am not advocating any sort of plagiarism; it’s just about smartly reformatting content.
Create A Slideshow out of your Blog posts using a free Powerpoint template. Share it on SlideShare.net, adding a good title and description for SEO.
Use free video creation software to create a video form of your content, and post in on Youtube. You can even transform your long post into short YouTube video episodes. Learn more about creating quick and effective YouTube videos here. Remember, with SEO friendly title and description of the video, you also get SEO juice from your Youtube link. It’s super easy to reuse your video content in the form of webinars as well. A tip to remember: Add at least 200 words in the YouTube video description box. That’s the best chance you can give your video content to feature on Google search page #1 for your target keywords.
If you prepare a dedicated video content, you can use the audio to create a podcast and share on some of the most heavily visited podcast sharing websites. Extract the transcript, and use it as post content.
Create PDF versions of your posts (preferably with some teasers and previews) and share on Scribd.
The logic is: with small incremental effort, you can create multiple content assets from your blog posts, which gives you the opportunity to add them on some highly renowned content sharing platforms. This gives you the dual benefit of more web presence and backlink juice from high-value domains.
[alert-note]Also Read – Free Online Resources to Promote Your Blog Posts for Driving More Traffic[/alert-note]
Tip #3: Update Your Older Content
Here’s another valuable method I recommend to all my colleagues, clients, and readers. Update your old content posts (I’d say all of them) with some new information (new data, updated screenshots, corrections to outdated content, whatever). Here’s why I suggest so:
1. Google loves websites that frequently update their content. That’s the reason why they started showing published dates in the search engine results.
2. Web surfers don’t click on old content anymore! You’d want your page featuring on Google search to give the impression that it’s been recently published, and hence would carry updated information.
How to do this?
It’s pretty simple.
Step 1: Add the words ‘Updated – (month, year)’ in front of the post title.
Step 2: Change the ‘published on’ date with the website builder tool you use.
Backlinko blog’s posts feature highly on Google’s search pages for relevant queries, and if you take a look at the post titles, you’d see this technique being used with a great effect.
Another advantage of this method is that you start featuring in search results that specifically include the current year.
Tip #4: Optimize well performing old pages to get them to Google search page 1
Use this technique in collaboration with tip #3. Here, we will add long tail keywords to your old content. Let me tell you how to do it.
1. Go to your Google Search Console.
2. Go to Search Traffic > Search Analytics. You will see the search words your website’s pages are already ranking for.
3. Sort the results to see the keywords ranking below #20. These are the pages that don’t make it Google’s first 10 search results (page 1).
After sorting queries will be shown like below.
4. Now, click on the little arrow you see next to the keywords and see the page that ranks for this keyword.
5. This is our target; add the long tail keyword to the content (add 2, 3 times) to increase its chances of making it to page 1.
6. Do this activity regularly for best results.
Remember, the blogs doing well on SEO are the ones that make the best use of their existing content, not the ones that add more content every day.
Tip #5: Add High-Quality Outbound Links to your Content
Alright, we know Hummingbird is the latest algorithm everyone wants to dissect and see how Google ranks websites. Here’s one method that most bloggers are not even aware of. In 2003, Google released Hilltop algorithm update, that helps Google identify web pages that act as ‘hubs of information’. Now, how do you make your posts appear as information hubs? The trick is to add high quality and well ranking outbound links in your content.
Check out the findings of this study; it identified a correlation between Google high rankings and the number of relevant and quality outbound links on pages.
[alert-note]Also Read – 5 Worst SEO Mistakes Businesses are Still Doing[/alert-note]
Tip #6: Leverage Your Blog’s Highest Ranking Pages to Promote Other Pages
We all know that authoritative pages on one’s website can be used to pass some link juice to other pages that need it most. I’ll tell you how you can do this quickly.
Step 1: Go to Ahrefs’ Site Explorer Tool. You can use it free of cost for 14 days under the free trial option. I recommend you sign up for the trial only once you know you will be able to find out the time to conduct the entire exercise sometime within the next week.
Step 2: In the dashboard, go to the Sidebar, and click on Top Pages button.
This list shows you the most authoritative pages from your website.
Step 3: Go to these authoritative posts and add internal links to the other pages that need some boost.
Like I always tell you, SEO is a continuous effort. The more interest you take in SEO, better you will do in updating your knowledge and implementing it on your blog. Let me know your comments, feedback, and experiences of using these tips.
wonderful article it is really good.
Hindi Me Jankari. get knowledge about blogging, SEO, Computer, Make Money. I think your site has one of the cleanest theme I’ve came across. It really helps make reading your blog a lot easier
Glad You liked it.
Really, a wonderful and helping guide.
sir how to do on page seo?
Make your website user friendly and valuable for user. Also, follow all the Google policies to make it good on-site optimized. Improve title, meta, h1, robots, sitemap, etc
Nice post about, SEO Tips
Glad you like this.. Thanks for stopping by.
sir thanks seo ki article likhne ke lie hume kaafi faayda milega isse.